Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"Life goes on and you don't touch tigers."


After having this book recommended to me by people whom I love and respect, I finally read it. I tried it once before, and only made it through about 15 pages before deciding that it wasn't going to work for me. I put it down, and with some more encouragement....picked it back up again and stuck with it. I'm glad I did. Most of you know that I am fond of animals. Most of you probably don't know, that I am not fond of zoos. Tomatonavocado suggested that the book would help me change my mind about zoos, and I was intrigued by that. I would like to have a reason to change my mind about zoos, a new perspective. Pi was able to do that for me. I am now looking forward to a trip to the zoo....to see the animals and their habitats in a new light. I may even blog about it. But, Life of Pi, was not only about zoos and their animals, it was also about faith and character....a test of will. I give it a thumbs up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am very, very happy you stuck with it. it is a, if not the favourite of mine.
thank you.

lisa said...

looking forward to our next trip to the zoo.

akid said...

Great. Let's all go to the zoo.

Anonymous said...

I wanna go, too.

Compromise Till Death said...

I have heard that zoos these days are places where animals can live who have been rescued from scumbags or were born in the system.

I have heard that zoo animals cannot be returned to the wild. I think it is because they do not know what to do, may be a nusiance and often times will be tormented and killed by wild animals.

When I was a pup, animals were brought in from the wild and did not adjust very well to the cages. They paced back and forth, back and forth while spectators threw popcorn at them and laughed. It made me sad.

At least man chooses the cage he lives in, as da says, escaping once in awhile for brief periods of freedom, then rushing back into his cage, a place where he finds relative safety, comfort and security.