Sunday, April 08, 2007

A funny thing happened on my way to work

I occasionally see interesting things on my way to or from my office. At the intersection of Randol Mill Road and Lower Precinct Line there is a large clearing. That clearing has been home to a couple of different stray dogs, some that we have rescued, some that we have not. The northwest corner of that intersection is property that is often filled with animals. Horses, alpacas, goats, and donkeys to name a few. Further west and on the south side of Randol Mill Road sits the River Bottom Pub.


Never been. Can't find the courage.
Something about it, perhaps just the name, makes me feel "unwelcome" or as though it may be a "members only" type of establishment. At any rate, I pass it frequently. Not long ago, within the past two months, I witnessed something amazing at the Pub. Three all white peacocks crossed that street (Randol Mill Road) from the parking lot of the River Bottom Pub to that property that houses various animals. They crossed right in front of my car...three in a row...one behind the other. I couldn't get to my camera and there were cars in front of and behind me. I thought I would never see them again....I'd never seen them before. But one day last week, on my way to work, travelling my old familiar route, I spotted one in the Bottoms parking lot. This time I pulled over and reached for my camera. The photos aren't great, but they're mine.




He was very clearly trying to impress his lady friend and she did an admirable job of playing hard to get. He was pacing back and forth outside the fenced area and while I was having technical difficulties, he jumped on top of that gate, spread his feathers for a brief moment, and landed on the other side. He then courted his lady peahen with no shame. It was so cool that I almost look forward to driving to work in hopes of another glimpse. Almost.




So, maybe the Peacock is my animal totem or maybe I was just in the right place at the right time. Maybe it was just a reminder to "stop and watch the peacocks" or is that "stop and smell the roses." At any rate, I'm glad it happened...whatever it means.


*The Splendid Peacock Totem possesses the following virtues:
"Respect, honor and love, long lasting relationships, strong powers of attraction, self-confidence, seeing into the past, personal pride, present and future, clairvoyant gifts, protective power, dignity, recognition, prominence, good luck, male charisma, exceeding male attractiveness and handsomeness." I can't say I've ever been called handsome, but I do attract the occasional straight girl.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you.
love the peacock story in all it's detail and all it's charm.

Steve said...

I hope "stop and watch the peacocks" becomes a family saying.

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool! We used to hear the peacocks calling in the house on Hawthorne where Jim grew up. Wonder why they are all white?

lisa said...

Hey--i saw this peacock today. i was very happy about it.

akid said...

I am psyched that you saw the peacock. You're my favorite witness.