Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts

Okay folks, it's time you know that I love Joan Jett. This past Saturday, I saw her in concert for the third time and she ROCKED! I first saw her at the Amelia Earhardt Festival somewhere in Kansas in the summer of 1999. Next I saw her at Mayfest in Fort Worth (2002?) completely by accident. We just so happened to be wandering around Mayfest and looked at the itinerary for the day and saw that she would be playing later that evening. She puts on a great show and is easy on the eyes. The girl can play the guitar and has a voice that really works for me. Most people only know her for "I love Rock and Roll" and maybe "I hate myself for loving you" as I remember both of them getting much radio play. I prefer some of her less publicized songs like Backlash, Ashes in the Wind, and Love Like Mine. http://www.joanjettbadrep.com/

The concert on Saturday night rocked for reasons other than her actual stage performance. First, Lisa encouraged me to brave the crowds and strut on up towards the front for a good look. I would have probably elected to just hang back since it was crowded and those other people got there first. Lisa says "nonsense" and away we went. We ended up probably 8-10 people deep and front and center. Perfect. (I remember being so close the first time I saw her that she flung some sweat on me.) The concert was great and included several cuts from her new CD to be released on June 10, 2006. The title of which is "Sinner." It just so happens that I have a t-shirt that says "Sinner" on it so I elected to wear it to the concert in hopes that she might notice it, call me up on stage, and sing to me. It didn't work out exactly as planned, but it turned out to be a good wardrobe choice nontheless. Following the concert, again with Lisa's encouragement, we headed around the side of the stage to try to get a peak at her loading into her van and heading out of town. We waited patiently with about 25 other fans and eventually, she emerged!! What a sight. She talked with her bandmates, wandered around a bit, and then strolled over to the fence where we were waiting. She signed autographs for everyone there. Naturally, I took off my shirt and passed it over the fence to be signed. She asked me (that's right...I am now sharing with you my conversation with JOAN JETT) if I had the shirt made and I told her "no. I found it". She said, "you found it?" to which I replied, "yep". She said it was cool and told me the new cd would be released on itunes on 666 and in stores on 6/10. She then asked for my name and signed my shirt. Click here for photos from her performance in Richardson. http://joanjettbadrep.com/cgi-bin/fanPhotoGallery.cgi?gallery=20060520-MartinWhitfield



7 comments:

akid said...

The first time I saw her was at the Amelia Earhart Festival in Atchison, Kansas, on July 23, 1999.

lisa said...

Well, it's true, this show did rock. As I told Steve, I have now seen Joan Jett twice in concert and both times I was not really looking forward to it and both times I was really impressed. In fact she IS nice on the eyes, but she also really does rock hard. And she embodies good rock star qualities. And she is a revolutionary in that she had to start her own production company (much like ani difranco and amy ray would years later) to get recorded because no one wanted to invest in a girl rocker. She sings a lot of music about androgyny and sexuality, which also makes her a revolutionary. And she does a lot of winking on stage so you always think she's looking at you. It was a very fun time. And even more fun because akid was on Cloud 1119 the whole time because she loves jj so much.

akid said...

I'm pretty sure she was looking at me.

Steve said...

Have you ever heard her sing The Theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show? I think I'd probably like to have a copy of that.

Lots of interesting info about Joan over at wikipedia.org.

akid said...

she sang that song the last two times I saw her....love it.

lisa said...

hey steve,
i have a copy of that song and will either email it to you or send it to you in that infamous package i have been promising since christmas.
it's great.

rnr said...

Akid, did I tell you that one of Jennifers friends went from nothing and is now making a thousand dollars a day, or a week, I think it is per day. She's in some soap.

Keep on rocking