Friday, April 28, 2006

New Look, Same old results??



Purple pants, black shoes, and other more subtle changes. The new look Vikes enter the 2006-2007 with a new coach, some new players, and a need for new results. Free Agency has been okay. We'll have to wait and see if Steve Hutchinson, Chester Taylor, and the Tank were good pick-ups. The draft is next and we need an "A" grade for sure. I like the idea of trading our first round pick for Matt Schaub, back up to Mike Vick of the Atlanta Falcons. I also like Ernie Sims at linebacker. I think our O-line and D-Line are in pretty good shape. I am a big fan of Mewelde Moore at running back and am curious to see how Chester Cheetah fits in. Our receivers are fine...not great, but fine. If we don't trade for Matt Schaub, I'd be okay with Jay Cutler but I'm thinking maybe Charlie Whitehurst or even Brodie Croyle out of Alabama in a later round. I watched a bit of him during the combine and I liked his accuracy and throwing motion. It also wouldn't hurt to pick up someone who can play nickel with some speed. I have a need, the need for speed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

5 comments:

akid said...

I also kind of like Ingle Martin as a later round QB..but not necessarily his name.

ervierto said...

I like the idea of Croyle in the second. As for speed, what about Jason Allen, or Santonio Holmes? Or maybe someone who can run the pick up to the table in time?

Steve said...

I think Steve Hutchinson was a good pick-up. Chester Taylor, not. I don't remember who Tank is.

I suspect that I like the Brad more than you do. I don't think the Falcs will (or should) part with Schaub for the #17 pick in the first round.

Ernie Sims is too small for the Cowboy scheme, but I can see him being a good pick for the Vikes.

The nickel speed guy you need is Clemson corner Tye Hill--who has the fastest 40 in this year's draft: 4.38.

Since you pick before we do, I'm glad to hear we're not going after the same guys.

Steve said...

I'm ready for some post-draft analysis.

akid said...

okay. maybe tonight. it's pretty bleak. the Vikes are the laughing stock of the league. it hurts. it hurts.