Sunday, January 29, 2006

Chris Cagle: A Review


Well, I had my first "event" of 2006 and that is quite impressive since it is only January. I attended a Chris Cagle concert at Billy Bob's Texas http://www.billybobstexas.com/ Saturday night and it was quite an experience. There was a lot of "proud to be American born" and "proud to be a Texan" which went over well with the crowd, but not so well with me. I like his voice, knew enough of the songs to sing along, and really like country music...especially live. My country music concerts of the past include Garth Brooks at the Minnesota State Fair, Shania Twain somewhere in Albuquerque, and Tracy Byrd somewhere in Albuquerque. I enjoyed all of them. Chris Cagle went to high school in White Settlement and will soon be relocating to Gainesville. That went over big with the crowd. It was a packed house and all but two people I encountered were very friendly. And, as a pleasant surprise, it had nothing to do with which bathroom I should use or the fact that I'm gay. Have I already said that somewhere here on this blog? The whole gay thing. Or did I just come out right here in my review of the Chris Cagle concert. That has got to be a first. Anyway, songs I knew and enjoyed included Miss Me Baby, Laredo, Beautiful Day, and Anywhere but Here. I also enjoyed the song about the Walmart parking lot, but hadn't heard it prior to the concert. As far as the Billy Bob's experience goes, as a whole it was a little intimidating for a girl like me, but I lived to Blog about it. http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/cagle_chris/videos.jhtml

10 comments:

Steve said...

When I was in 9th grade, I wore cowboy boots to school every day. I had a big belt buckle with an "S" on it and a big straw cowboy hat I wore to dances and rodeos (well, one rodeo at least). I loved hating Scott Glenn's character in "Urban Cowboy" and I liked "Lookin' for Love," (Johnny Lee's tune from that soundtrack). But . . . getting me to like country music today is a tall order and "Beautiful Day," "Miss Me Baby," "Chicks Dig It," and "Don't Ask Me No Questions" did not rise to the occasion. I think you should buy some cowboy boots, though, and a big belt buckle which you can wear to your next Billy Bob's outing.

Maria Jose said...

If I had met Steve in High School wearing that outfit I wouldn't have been impressed at all!

Steve said...

Oh yes you would have! You might have resisted it, but you would have been impressed.

akid said...

I would have liked to see that. Surely there are pictures. We talked about some cowboy boots for the both of us, but maybe will just go with tomato for now. She needs something to wear to the Boot Scoot -n- Barbecue this friday night. WooHoo!!

lisa said...

I am going to get me some western wear this week. and i haven't had much trouble embracing country music. Lots of harmony, funny lyrics. I only run into trouble when i find out about country musicians politics. and then i get disgusted.

Anonymous said...

speaking of cowboy boots...bought a pair on my first trip to steamboat springs when i was in grade eight...used about 90% of my money on them and was broke the rest of the trip (still working on the $ management thing). on another note, i checked out the billy bob's lineup and think you's guys should seriously consider taking in the 25th anniversary show with willie...in my little opinion, willie's our kinda people. sota...love you most.

ervierto said...

I have been to the Bob's, and I have seen part of a concert there, though at the moment, I struggle to recall who it was. Somebody's son, like Merle Haggard's? Or somehing? I was not particularly impressed, though I was not intimidated by the crowd. As for country music in general, I have a couple that I can go with but generally, not a fan.

Steve said...

Has anybody out there heard Willie's latest: Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other? I wonder how that will go over at Billy Bob's . . .

lisa said...

it's actually not willie's latest; it's a re-release from a song he did in the 80's, if you can believe it. We saw something on the local news the other night about this song and the proposed texan uproar. You know how texans are . . .

Steve said...

It is currently -1 degrees here in Chicago with wind chill of -14.