Monday, June 12, 2006

Sailing


For those of you who don't know, I can't swim. I grew up in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes", but never swam in a one of them. I've been getting better as the years pass. I spent some time in the Gulf of Mexico while in Galveston two years ago and I frequent Aunt Carolyn's pool to build my confidence. Lately, I've been able to thrash around in the deep end without any tragedy. Saturday, I went sailing. It sounded like fun. It sounded like an adventure, something I'd like to call and tell my parents about. I was excited....until I actually saw the sailboat. Apparently, I had never actually seen a sailboat before...or at least nothing more than the sail. Once I saw the boat up close, I started having significant second thoughts and asked, "where do we sit?" When the answer was, "right there, on that black trampoline looking mat" I nearly headed for home. But, with the encouragement of my girl and some of her family members (one of whom is a certified lifeguard), we were off! I was nervous at first, with one hand on the edge of the boat and one hand on Lisa, facing backwards with one eye open. As the ride smoothed out and I felt the cool water beneath me and the wind blowing, I loosened my grip and enjoyed the rest of the ride. WooHoo!

7 comments:

ervierto said...

I am envious. Hopefully we can go out again soon.

lisa said...

we had so much fun and i was really proud of akid for bravely daring the unknown. we definitely want to go out again soon. and if jade ever reads this blog--many props to you for gettin akid out there!

lisa said...

we had so much fun and i was really proud of akid for bravely daring the unknown. we definitely want to go out again soon. and if jade ever reads this blog--many props to you for gettin akid out there!

Anonymous said...

we had so much fun and i was really proud of akid for bravely daring the unknown. we definitely want to go out again soon. and if jade ever reads this blog--many props to you for gettin akid out there!

Because it can't be said enough!
DA

Anonymous said...

I went sailing with Jade once on a windless day on the cooling pond of the nuclear power plant at Glen Rose. The water was bathtub warm. I think I had hair before that day. And brains and youth.
Alas.
DA

Steve said...

The portrait you paint reminds me a lot of that great scene in What About Bob? in which Bob is tied to a sailboat mast and cries out from the open water of Lake Winnipesaukee: "I'm sailing! I'm a sailor! I sail!" Or somesuch. Luv it. I think you need a t-shirt that says: "I sail."

rnr said...

2nd the T-shirt idea. I admire your bravery.